Dr Daly qualified as a pharmacist in 1979 and worked as a hospital pharmacist prior to undertaking a PhD in Biochemical Pharmacology at Cardiff University. His PhD was in the field of cancer research, specifically the development of novel inhibitors of the aromatase enzyme for the treatment of hormone-dependent breast cancer.
After gaining his PhD in 1985, he re-entered the hospital service as a clinical and medicines information (MI) pharmacist, and was appointed Principal Pharmacist in MI at Jimmy’s in Leeds in 1991. In 1998 he was promoted to the post of Chief Pharmacist, first at New Cross Hospital in Wolverhampton, and then at the RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital in Oswestry.
After nearly 30 years experience, Dr Daly left the NHS to take up a part-time post as Teacher / Practitioner in the Wolverhampton School of Pharmacy. His main duties involve teaching various aspects of practice, with an emphasis on public health. In addition, he retains an active role as both a community and hospital pharmacist.
His main areas of interest centre on the integration of pharmaceutical skills with information technology for the delivery of pharmaceutical care.
(limited to 10, post 2000)
1. Daly, M.J. Rituximab : A new option in advanced rheumatoid arthritis. Therapeutic Advances Prescriber (Supplement), January 2008. J. Wiley and Sons.
2. Duerden, M. Daly, M.J. Generic prescribing : Issues of bioequivalence with biosimilar drugs. Prescriber (Supplement), September 2007. J. Wiley and Sons.
3. Daly, M.J. Rituximab (Mabthera) in the management of rheumatoid arthritis. Future Prescriber (Supplement), September 2007. J. Wiley and Sons.
4. Ward, F. Daly, M.J. Hepatic disease. Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, 3rd Edition, (Ed : R.Walker, C.Edwards) 2002, pp209-228. Churchill Livingstone, London.
5. Ward, F.M. Daly, M.J. Hepatic disorders. In ‘Adverse Drug Reactions’, (Ed. A. Lee) 2001, pp77-97. Pharmaceutical Press, London.
6. Daly, M.J. Patient power versus professionalism : The challenge of the internet. Pharmacy in Practice 2001;11:62-63.
7. Bodger, K. Daly, M.J. Heatley, R.V. Dyspepsia workload in urban general practice and implications of the British Society of Gastroenterology Dyspepsia guidelines. Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2000;14:413-420.
8. Daly, M.J. Clinical governance and pharmaceutical ethics. Pharmacy in Practice 2000;10:281-282.
9. Daly, M.J. Where to start with electronic prescribing. British Journal of Healthcare Computing 2000;17:40-41.
10. Ashmore, S.D. Jones, C.H. Newstead, C.G. Daly, M.J. Chrystyn, H. Ondansetron therapy for uremic pruritus in haemodialysis patients. American Journal of Kidney Diseases 2000:35:827-831.
1. Bodger, K. Daly, M.J. Heatley, R.V. (Editors) Clinical economics in gastroenterology, 2000. Blackwell Science, Oxford