Prof Prashant Pillai has over 15 years of research experience and specializes in the area of Communication protocols and Cyber Security. He is currently the Director of the Wolverhampton Cyber Research Institute. The Institute comprises of over 10 academic staff and focuses of research in the area of Cyber Security and intelligent and secure cyber physical systems/IoT.
Prof Pillai was previously a Reader in Cyber Security and the Head of the Cyber Research Group at Oxford Brookes University. Prior to that he was Deputy Head of Electrical Engineering at the University of Bradford. He was also the Director of PG Research for over 4 years and oversaw all aspects of the PGR provision for the Faculty of Engineering and Informatics, ranging from strategic planning, policy development, process management, recruitment and marketing, and day-to-day operational and administrative duties.
He has assisted in acquiring a research income of over £2.5m over the last 6 years with grants funded by EU, Innovate UK, ESA, Britich Council, etc. Prof Pillai has co-edited 2 books and has co-authored around 90 peer reviewed papers at leading journals and conferences and 3 book chapters. He has supervised 40 MSc, 35 Final Year, 6 PhD and 1 MPhil projects to completion.
He is the Associate Editor of IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronic Systems and an Editor of the Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering and Applied Sciences (JETEAS).
He was recently appointed as a Co-Chair of the 5G-Satellite subgroup of the IEEE 5G Technology Roadmap Working Group. He was also recently appointed a founding member of the IEEE special interest group on Big Data for Cyber Security and Privacy.
Over the years, Prof Pillai has taught and researched a range of subjects in Electronic Engineering and Computer Sciences. Areas of expertise are in computer networks and cyber security and include:
His general research interests:
- Network security Protocols
- Security for Critical National Infrastructure
- Security for Autonomous systems
- Data analytics for Cyber Security
- Protocol Development in Heterogeneous Networks
- Secure Wireless Networks / Internet of things
Expertise in Security area:
- Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting Protocols (RADIUS, DIAMETER)
- Security for WLAN devices (EAP, 802.1x, 802.11i)
- Security for Wireless Sensor Networks (SPINS, TinySec, microTESLA, etc)
- Security for DVB systems (Secure ULE)
- Virtual Private Networks (L2TP, PPTP, IPSec, SSL, TLS)
- Security Key management mechanism (IKE, ISAKMP)
- Multicast Security Protocols (GDOI, MIKEY, GSAKMP)
- Cryptography (AES, RSA, DES, etc)
- Risk Assessment and quantification (ISO27001, IS1)
• Fellow of British Computer Society (FBCS)
• Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
• Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (SMIEEE)
• Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET)
• ISO/IEC 27001 Information Security Management System Lead Implementer