Paraskevi graduated from the 3rd High School of Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece with 19.4/20 in the National Apolytirion (with 4 A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Greek). Before completion of her A levels, she had secured a position in the Molecular Genetics BSc at King’s College London, where she graduated with a 2:1 in June 2001. She then embarked on a PhD in the prestigious Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, after having obtained a highly competitive Medical Research Council (MRC) PhD studentship to work on the regulation of the mouse alpha globin cluster. This was followed by a post-doctoral career development fellowship at MRC Harwell and since 2010, she has obtained independent positions in academia, focusing her research on understanding the genetic mechanisms that underlie rare diseases, with the ultimate aim of impacting on disease prognosis and finding pharmacological treatments for them.
Cilia, Molecular Genetics, Gene expression analysis and networks
-Paediatric kidney disease
-Planar Cell Polarity
ARPKD is short for Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease. ARPKD is a rare condition affecting 1 in 20,000 live births, boys and girls equally. It causes enlarged kidneys (with or without cysts), liver enlargement and high blood pressure. Paraskevi research is supported by this charity. For more information please see the short you tube video: https://youtu.be/tZeGyM68q0Q
European Renal Association, Member
Institute of Biomedical Science, Fellow
Higher Education Academy, Fellow
Ciliopathy Alliance, Member
ARPKD RaDaR Group, Founding Member
British Society of Cell Biology, Member
British Society of Developmental Biology, Member
International Mammalian Genome Society, Member
Genetics Society, UK, Member
a) Refereed full papers
- Goggolidou P. and Wilson P.D. (2016) Novel biomarkers in kidney disease: the roles of cilia, Wnt signalling and ATMIN in polycystic kidney disease. Biochemical Society Transactions, 44(6), 1745-1751.
- Goggolidou P., Hadjirin N.F., Bak A., Papakrivopoulou E., Hilton H., Norris D.P., Dean C.H. (2014) Atmin mediates kidney morphogenesis by modulating Wnt signalling. Human Molecular Genetics, 23(20), 5303-5316.
- Goggolidou P., Stevens S., Agueci F., Wheway G., Grimes D. et al. (2014) ATM-interactor (ATMIN) is a transcriptional regulator of both lung morphogenesis and ciliogenesis. Development, 141(20), 3966-3977.
- Yusuf B J, Goggolidou P, Milne T, Abba A A, Bakari A G, Sa'idu A, Dutse A I, Gwaram B A, Ashfaq K, Abubakar S A. (2014) Validity of new flow cytometric protocol in diagnosis of low-grade myelodysplastic syndromes. Sub-Saharan Afr J Med, 1, 40-47.
- Goggolidou P. (2014) Wnt and planar cell polarity signalling in cystic renal disease. Organogenesis, 10(1), 86-95.
- Goggolidou P., Soneji S., Powles-Glover N., Williams D., Sethi S., Baban D., Simon M.M., Ragoussis I., Norris D.P. (2013) A chronological expression profile of gene activity during embryonic mouse brain development. Mammalian Genome, 24(11-12), 459-472.
- Yates L.L., Papakrivopoulou J., Long D.A., Goggolidou P., O.Connelly J., Woolf A.S., Dean C.H. (2010) The planar cell polarity gene Vangl2 is required for mammalian kidney branching morphogenesis and glomerular maturation. Human Molecular Genetics, 19 (23), 4663-4676.
- Guzman-Ayala M., Lee K.L., Mavrakis K.J., Goggolidou P., Norris DP., Episkopou V. (2009) Graded Smad2/3 activation is converted directly into levels of target gene expression in Embryonic Stem Cells. PLOS ONE, 4(1), e4268.
- Ermakov A., Stevens J.L., Whitehill E., Robson J.E., Pieles G., Brooker D., Goggolidou P., Powles-Glover N., Hacker T., Young S.R., Dear N., Hirst E., Tymowska-Lalanne S., Briscoe J., Bhattacharya S., Norris D.P. (2009) Mouse mutagenesis identifies novel roles for left-right patterning genes in pulmonary, craniofacial, ocular and limb development. Developmental Dynamics, 238 (3), 581-94.
b) Refereed conference publications
- Goggolidou P., Ermakov A., Powles-Glover N., Bogani D., Goggin P., Johnston D., Greenfield A., Briscoe J., Norris D.P. (2009) Gpg3, a novel ciliogenesis mutant modulating Hh signalling. Mechanisms of Development, 01/2009, 126.
- Stevens J., Powles-Glover N., Goggolidou P., Norris D.P. (2009) The role of the transcriptional activator Atmin in cilia based hedgehog signalling and left–right development. Mechanisms of Development, 08/2009, 126:S268.
- Norris D.P., Ermakov A., Stevens J., Field S., Goggolidou P., Powles-Glover N. (2008) A genetic screen for situs abnormalities. Developmental Biology, 319 (2), 510.
c) Conference abstracts
- Wilson P.D. and Goggolidou P. (2016) Expression of vasopressin-2 receptors in human ADPKD kidneys at different stages of disease progression, British Renal Society UK Kidney week, Birmingham, UK.
- Tharmadas G., Medeiros Musquiari K., Wilson P.D., Goggolidou P. (2016) The role of Wnt signalling proteins in Autosomal Recessive Polycysic Kidney Disease, British Society of Developmental Biology- British Society of Cell Biology Spring Meeting, Warwick, UK.
- Goggolidou P. et al., (2009) Gpg3, a novel ciliogenesis mutant modulating Hh signalling, 16th International Congress in Developmental Biology, Edinburgh, UK.
- Goggolidou P. et al., (2008) ”Gasping” mutants, a complex ENU-derived mouse phenotype, 20th International Congress of Genetics, Berlin, Germany.
- Norris D., Ermakov A., Stevens J., Field S., Goggolidou P., Powles-Glover N. (2008) A genetic screen for situs abnormalities, Society for Developmental Biology 67th Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, USA.
- Goggolidou P., Wood W.G. (2005) Regulation of the mouse α globin cluster, 2nd Alan Wolﬀe EMBO Conference on Chromatin and Epigenetics, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Goggolidou P., Wood W.G. (2004) Regulation of the mouse α globin cluster, Keystone Symposium on the Emerging Mechanisms of Epigenetic Regulation, California, USA (Awarded Scholarship for Poster Presentation).
Goggolidou P. (2017) Cilia in Development and Disease, Taylor & Francis, New York.
e) Popular Science Articles
Goggolidou P. (2011) Genetic engineering: pros and cons, Aeolida magazine, Athens, Greece.
Goggolidou P. (2010) Thalassemia, a disease that affects us all, Aeolida magazine, Athens, Greece.
Goggolidou P. (2010) Alcohol: benefits and health risks, Aeolida magazine, Athens, Greece.
-Molecular mechanisms of polycystic kidney disease