I have been at the University of Wolverhampton for over 25 years, having been originally appointed to teach geology. My teaching specialisms have since diversified to include environmental science, geography, animal behaviour and forensic science. I have been an admissions tutor for more years than I care to remember and I have always had a role centred around student and course management. My main academic interest is focussed on improving the student experience and listening to the Student Voice with the aim of continually improving the quality of teaching and learning. I have always enjoyed teaching and in 2010 I returned to the classroom at a local secondary school where I taught maths for a term in order to update my teaching skills and better understand the learning experiences of our students prior to moving on to HE.
I sing in the University choir and until recently was the chair of Wolverhampton Chamber Choir. My love of genealogy, local history and etymology is only surpassed by my passion for real ale and chocolate.
Pedagogic: School to HE transition, Student Voice, Student Experience
Subject Discipline: palaeoenvironmental and palaeolimnological significance of diatoms and dinoflagellates, and mineral magnetism
PHD SUPERVISION AND EXAMINING
2010 PhD internal examiner
J.A. Milllington. Pedogenesis on the Sefton coastal dunes, NW England.
2008 PhD internal examiner
K.D. Horton. The effects of rehabilitation management on the vegetation of Fenn’s, Whixall and Bettesfield Mosses National Nature Reserve – a cut-over lowland raised mire.
2002 PhD internal examiner
C.A. Booth. Sediment-source linkages in the Gwendraeth Estuary, South Wales, based on mineral magnetic analyses.
2001 PhD internal examiner
K.R. Jones. Circulation, deposition and post-depositional changes of sediment in two Welsh estuaries: a mineral magnetic investigation
1994-1999 PhD research student supervisor.
L.A. Wheeler. The structure & periodicity of laminae in Holocene sediment cores from Loch Ness, Scotland.
• C.J. Crosby, C.A. Booth, D. Appasamy, M.A. Fullen & K. Farr (2014): Mineral magnetic measurements as a pollution proxy for canal sediments (Birmingham Canal Navigation Main Line), Environmental Technology, 35 (4) 14 pp.
• Farr, KM 2013. Diatom species from sediment samples under British Telecom manhole covers. Unpubl report prepared for West Midlands Police.
• AL Power, AT Worsley, CA Booth, KM Farr 2007. Preliminary insights into magneto-biomonitoring (Tilia europaea and Acer pseudoplatanus) as an alternative roadside particulate air pollution technology. Air Pollution Volume 14, 86, 525-534.
• Power, AL, Worsley, AT, Booth, CA & Farr, KM 2006. Magneto-biomonitoring as an alternative roadside particulate air pollution technology. WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment, Volume 86. ISSN 1743-3541.
• Farr, KM 2003 Gone before they start: First year wastage between Confirmation and Enrolment, and in the first few weeks of term. Unpubl. Paper EP.02-03/98 delivered to Executive following University of Wolverhampton Secondment.
• Cooper, M.C., Farr, K.M., Jenkins, P.H., O'Sullivan, P.E., Rowland, S.J., Shine, A, Smith, J.P. and Wheeler, L.A. 1994. Preliminary investigation of laminated sediments from Loch Ness, Scotland. 20th International Radiocarbon Conference, Glasgow, Scotland, August 15-19, 1994 (Abstracts).
• Wharton, B.A., Farr, K.M. & O'Sullivan, P.E. 1993. The late Holocene history of the Shropshire-Cheshire meres, UK. Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol., 25 (Proceedings of the 25th SIL, Barcelona, 20-28 August 1992).
• K M Farr, D M Jones, P E O'Sullivan, G Eglinton, D H Tarling and R E M Hedges (1990) Palaeolimnological studies of laminated sediments from the Shropshire-Cheshire meres. Hydrobiologia 224 279-292.
• K M Farr, D M Jones, P E O'Sullivan, G Eglinton, R E M Hedges & D H Tarling (1989) Calibration of the West European calender of palaeomagnetic secular variation and Holocene radiocarbon variations using varve counts from annually laminated sediments from the Shropshire-Cheshire meres, 5th International Symposium on Palaeolimnology, Ambleside, September 1-6, 1989 (Abstracts).
• P E O'Sullivan, K M Farr, A L Heathwaite & J P Smith (1989) Southwest England and the Shropshire-Cheshire meres, U.K. Field Guide to Excursion A, 5th International Symposium on Palaeolimnology, Ambleside, September 1-6, 1989.
• K M Farr (1989) Palynomorph and palynodebris distributions in modern British & Irish estuarine sediments In: Batten, D.J. & Keen, M.C. (eds), Northwest European micropalaeontology and palynology, British Micropalaeontological Society/Ellis Horwood, Chichester pp. 265-285.
• K M Farr (1988) Palynomorph and palynodebris distributions in modern estuarine sediments. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, University of Aberdeen.