I have taught in HE for 29 years and have wide expertise in teaching from level 4 to level 8. My main teaching interets are in research methods, Sociology and Public Health, and have research expertise in this field of sexual offenders against children.
I have supervised 16 PHD students (5 of which have now reached a sucessful conclusion), most of whom arr nursing based. These covered a wide variety of topics inlcuding a grounded theory study of self- harm, Nursing interventions amoung the homeless in London who TB, an ethnographic study of epilepsy amoung the elderly, and the impact of intermeidate care on staff and clients; The experiences of new entrants to HE at level 3.
I am currently supervising 7 PHD student including, 5 of which are being submitted within 2017-2018 academic year: The role of the link tutor in nursing training (recently submitted and awaiting viva voce examination). The experience of mental health stigma (For submission in January 2018). The impact of interactions with 'Professionals' upon mother using Children's centre services (nearing completion).
An exploration in to young people's perceptions of Novel Psychoative Substances (nearing completion).
The impact of discourses of heteronormativity and gender in help seeking and surviving domestic abuse in same-sex women's relationships. The role of the Assistant practitioner within the nursing teams.
I have supervised 70 Master's disserations.
My main research methods expertise lies within the variety of qualitative approaches including Grounded Theory, Ethnography, Auto-Ethnography, Action Research and Phenomenology.
Individual, corporate, academic, research and enterprise expertise
- Teaching research methods to any students in the faculty
- Teaching sociology of any kind to any students in the faculty
- PhD/Master’s supervision - 15 PhD students and over 70 Master’s Dissertation students.
- Award leadership: Master’s awards and re-validations expertise. Professional Doctorate in Health & Wellbeing July 2014 – September 2017
- Sexual Offenders against Children
- PhD/Master’s Supervision, Award or module leadership
- Teaching of Sociology of Public Health/sociology of health & illness/gender & health/ Research methods for public health and social care
I could act as a consultant in the following areas of knowledge, innovation, project design/management and dissemination
Research / Project Design
Developing new courses and modules