- To provide advice and make recommendations to Academic Board to enable the University to respond to the emergence of ethical issues, whether this response is prompted by the internal or the external environment.
- To confirm that the monitoring processes within the University are working effectively and that ethical considerations involving human participants or any other ethically sensitive activities are being adequately addressed at all levels.
This will be achieved by:
- Ensuring that any research/investigation at the University complies with external codes of practice and receives due consideration where there are ethical concerns. It will also act as the point of contact for external bodies and will adapt University procedures in the light of external requirements and changes.
- Ensuring that Schools have eithics procedures/infrastructures that are robust and effective. Ths will be done by receiving from Schools annual reports on their procedures for the ethical monitoring of staff research, of postgraduate research and of undergraduate work. This will be supported, appropriately, by records and by formal minutes of decisions taken.
- Advising on the University code of practice for ethics and revising this when appropriate.
- Issuing guidance and advice on staff development needs and through the dissemination of good practice.