Dr Ruoling Chen
Academic CV - Ruoling Chen (PDF 114K, Downloads file)
Qualifications: MBChB, MSc (Med Stats), PhD (Epid), Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
Role: Leader of Epidemiology and Global Health
Ruoling Chen obtained his PhD at the University of Aberdeen in 1997, after studying medicine (MB) and a 3-year full-time postgraduate course for medical statistics (MSc) in China. In 2009 he joined the University of Wolverhampton as a Reader, focusing on mental health research and teaching epidemiology. As a principal investigator, Dr Chen has led and conducted a number of national and international research projects in epidemiology and public health, supported by UK grants (e.g, the Royal Society, Alzheimer’s Research). During 2011-2014 he was working at King’s College London to develop a module course of Global Public Health to postgraduate students and taught undergraduate medical students on epidemiological methodology and medical statistics. Back to Wolverhampton, Dr Chen continues his public health research and teaches different levels of students on epidemiology, global health and meta-analysis. He previously worked at the Universities of Liverpool, Dundee and London as a lecturer and senior lecturer in medical statistics and epidemiology. He is an honorary senior lecturer at University College London and an adjunct professor in Anhui Medical University, China.
Dr Chen is an international expert on epidemiology and public health. He has established a large-scale population-based study of dementia and other chronic diseases in older people in 6 provinces in China. His research interests include Aging and Chronic Diseases, Social Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology. Dr Chen has national and international research collaborations, including from University College London and The Australian National University (Prof Kaarin Anesty). He has had a wide network linked with medical universities in China, helping the University of Wolverhampton for further collaborative research and teaching programmes (http://bit.ly/1ZKim65).
Currently, Dr Chen leads a research group in epidemiology and global health. The group consists of post-doctoral and senior researchers, and provides several places for future PhD candidates to work on important topics in epidemiology and public health. It also provides expertise and advice for staff on health data analyses, clinical epidemiology and population-based health research.
On-going PhD Research Projects
Dietary Intakes and Dementia Risk and Outcomes
Isaac M Danat
Epidemiology of Overweight and Obesity in Older People
Ruoling Chen, Linda Lang
Major Research Grant (PI)
Risk factors, health care and outcomes of dementia in people who are socio-economically deprived but at high level of social support and low level of depression. Funded by the BUPA Foundation, UK (£254,000) (2008-2013)
External Academic and Research Activities
- Associate Editor, BMC Public Health (2011-)
- Editorial Board, The Psychiatric Bulletin (2014-)
- Editorial Board, World Journal of Psychiatry (2011-)
Scientific journals, eg, New England Medical Journal, Lancet, British Medical Journal, Int J Epidemiol, Am J Epidemiol, Br J Psychiatry, J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, Stroke.
Grant awarding bodies, eg, National Institute for Health Research, England (Programme Grant and RfPB Grant), UK MRC Joint Health Systems Research Initiative, European Commission Horizon 2020 (Heath and Ageing. Unit E.4).
- Pang YS, Song T, Chen R (correspondent), Li H, Zhao XQ, et al. Socioeconomic deprivation and mortality in people after ischemic stroke: the China National Stroke Registry. Int J Stroke 2016;11 (in press)
- Chen R, Crichton SL, McKevitt CJ, Rudd AG, Sheldenkar A, Wolfe CDA. Association between Socioeconomic Deprivation and Functional Impairment after Stroke: the South London Stroke Register. Stroke 2015; 46:800-5.
- Hu Z, Zaman MJ, Wang J, Peacock JL, Chen R. Correlates of Untreated Hypercholesterolemia in Older Adults: A Community-Based Household Survey in China. PLoS One. 2015 Jul 10;10(7):e0131318.
- Chen R, Hu Z, Chen RL, Zhang D, Xu L, Wang J, et al. Socioeconomic deprivation and survival after stroke in China: a systematic literature review and a new population-based cohort study. BMJ Open. 2015;5(1):e005688. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2014-005688.
- Birkhead J, Weston C, Timmis A, Chen R. The effects of intravenous insulin infusions on early mortality for patients with acute coronary syndromes who present with hyperglycaemia; a matched propensity analysis using data from the MINAP database 2008-2012. European Heart Journal: Acute Cardiovascular Care 2014; pii: 2048872614549733.
- Chen R, McKevitt CJ, Rudd AG, Wolfe CDA. Socioeconomic Deprivation and Survival after Stroke: Findings from the Prospective South London Stroke Register of 1995-2011. Stroke 2014; 45: 217-23.
- Greaves K, Chen Y, Appadurai V, Hu Z, Schofield P, Chen R. The prevalence of doctor-diagnosed angina in 4314 older adults in China and comparison with the Rose angina questionnaire: the 4 province study. Int J Cardiology. 2014;177:627-8.
- Chen R, McKevitt CJ, Crichton SL, Rudd AG, Wolfe CDA. Socioeconomic deprivation and provision of acute and long-term care after stroke: the South London Stroke Register cohort study. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry 2014; 85:1294-30
- Sheldenkar A, Crichton S, Douiri A, Rudd AG, Wolfe CD, Chen R. Temporal trends in health-related quality of life after stroke: analysis from the South London Stroke Register 1995-2011. Int J Stroke 2014; 9:721-7.
- Chen R, Hu Z, Chen LR, Ma Y, Zhang DM, Wilson K. Determinants for undetected dementia and depression in older adults. Br J Psychiatry 2013;203:203-8.
- Zhang D, Hu Z, Orton S, Wang JJ, Zheng J, Qin X, Chen R. Socioeconomic and psychosocial determinants of smoking and passive smoking in older adults. Biomed Environ Sci 2013;26:465-470.
- Chen R, Wilson K, Chen Y, Zhang D, Qin X, He MZ, Hu Z, Ma Y, Copeland JR. Association between environmental tobacco smoke exposure and dementia syndromes. Occup Environ Med 2013;70: 63-69.
- Schofield P, Nicola Crichton N, Chen R. Methods for assessing cardiovascular disease risk in a UK black population. Heart 2012;98:1373-7.
- Chen R. Association of environmental tobacco smoke with dementia and Alzheimer's disease among never smokers. Alzheimer's & Dementia 2012;8:590-5.
- Clifford A, Lang L, Chen R. Effects of maternal cigarette smoking during pregnancy on cognitive parameters of children and young adults - a literature review. Neurotoxicol Teratol 2012;34:560-70.
- Chen R, Zhang D, Chen Y, Hu Z, Wilson K. Passive smoking and risk of cognitive impairment in women who never smoke. Arch Int Med 2012;172:271-3.
- Chen R, Ma Y, Wilson K, Hu Z, Sallah D, Wang JJ, et al. A multicentre community-based study of dementia cases and subcases in older people in rural and urban China--the GMS-AGECAT prevalence and socio-economic correlates. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2012;27:692-702.
- Lang L, Orton S, Sallah D, Hewitt-Moran T, Zhang D, Cullen S, Dixon S, Bell B, Bell D, Meeson L, Chen R. A survey of engagement and competence levels in interventions and activities in a community mental health workforce in England. BMC Health Serv Res 2011;11:352.
- Shah AD, Nicholas O, Timmis AD, Feder G, Abrams KR, Chen R, et al. Threshold haemoglobin levels and the prognosis of stable coronary disease: two new cohorts and a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med; 2011;8:e1000439
- Henriksson M, Palmer S, Chen R, Damant J, Fitzpatrick N, Abrams K, et al. Assessing the cost effectiveness of using prognostic biomarkers with decision models: case study in prioritising patients waiting for coronary artery surgery. BMJ 2010; 340:b5606
- Hemingway H, Henriksson M, Chen R, Damant J, Fitzpatrick N, Abrams K, et al. The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of biomarkers for the prioritisation of patients awaiting coronary revascularisation: a systematic review and decision-model. Health Technol Assess. 2010;14:1-151.
- Chen R. Mortality attributable to smoking in China. N Engl J Med 2009;360:1911.
- Birkhead J, Weston C, Chen R. Determinants and outcomes of coronary angiography after non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: a cohort study of the Myocardial Ischemia National Audit Project (MINAP). Heart 2009;95:1593-9.
- Chen R, Hu Z, Wei L, Qin X, Copeland JRM. Is the relationship between syndromes of depression and dementia temporal? - the MRC-ALPHA and Hefei-China studies. Psychol Med 2009;39:425-30.
- Hemingway H, Chen R, Junghans C, Timmis A, Black N, Shekelle P, et al. Appropriateness criteria for coronary angiography in angina: reliability and validity. Ann Intern Med 2008;149:221-31.
- Chen R, Hu Z, Wei L, Qin X, McCracken C, Copeland JRM. Severity of depression and risk for subsequent dementia: cohort studies in China and the UK. Br J Psychiatry 2008;193:373-7.
- Sekhri N, Timmis A, Chen R, Junghans C, Walsh N, Zaman J, et al. Inequity of access to investigation and effect on clinical outcomes: prognostic study of coronary angiography for suspected stable angina pectoris. BMJ 2008;336:1058-61.
- Wei L, Chen R, MacDonald TM. Channelling of SSRIs and SNRIs use in the Tayside population, Scotland. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2007;16:859-66.
- Chen R, Kumar S, Timmis A, Feder G, Yaqoob M, Hemingway H. Comparison of the relation between renal impairment, angiographic coronary artery disease and long-term mortality in women vs men. Am J Cardiol 2006;97:630-2.
- Syme P, Byrne A, Chen R, Devenny R, Forbes J. Community-based stroke incidence and case-fatality in a Scottish population - the Scottish Borders Stroke Study (SBSS). Stroke 2005;36:1837-43.
- Chen R, Tunstall-Pedoe H. Socioeconomic deprivation and waist circumference in men and women: the Scottish MONICA surveys 1989-95. European J Epidemiol 2005;20:141-7.
- Chen R, Wei L, Hu Z, Qin X, Copeland JRM, Hemingway H. Depression in older people in rural China. Arch Int Med 2005;165:2019-25.
- Chen R, Hu Z, Qin X, Xu XC, Copeland JMR. A community-based study of depression in older people in Hefei, China – the GMS-AGECAT prevalence, case validation and socio-economic correlates. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2004;19:407-13.
- Chen R, Tavendale R, Tunstall-Pedoe H. Coronary heart disease in relation to passive smoking by self report, serum cotinine and their combination: Scottish MONICA study. Occup Environ Med 2004; 61:790-2.
- Chen R, Wei L, Syme P. Comparison of early and delayed respondents to a postal health survey: a questionnaire study of personality traits and neuropsychological symptoms. European J Epidemiol 2003; 18:195-202.
- Chen R, Tavendale R, Tunstall-Pedoe H. Measurement of passive smoking in adults: self-reported questionnaire or serum cotinine? J Cancer Epidemiol & Prev (formerly J Epidemiol Biostat) 2002; 7:85-95.
- MacWalter RS, Wong SYS, Wong KYK, Stewart G, Fraser CG, Fraser HW, Ersoy Y, Ogston SA, Chen R. Does renal dysfunction predict mortality after acute stroke? a seven year follow-up study. Stroke 2002;33:1630-35.
- Chen R, Tunstall-Pedoe H. Cancer risk, hypertension, and antihypertensive medication. Lancet 2002; 359:77.
- Chen R, Tunstall-Pedoe H, Tavendale R. Environmental tobacco smoke and lung function in employees who never smoked: the Scottish MONICA study. Occup Environ Med 2001;58: 563-8.
- Chen R, Semple S, Dick F, Seaton A. Nasal, eye and skin irritation in dockyard painters. Occup Environ Med 2001;58: 542-3.
- Chen R, Dick F, Semple S, Seaton A, Walker LG. Solvent exposure and personality. Occup Environ Med 2001;58:14-8.
- Chen R, Tunstall-Pedoe H, Bolton-Smith C, Hannah MK, Morrison C. Association of dietary antioxidants and waist circumference with pulmonary function and airway obstruction. Am J Epidemiol 2001;153:157-63.
Book and Chapters
- Chen R. Cognitive Development: Theories, Stages & Processes and Challenges (Book). Nova Science Publishers, Inc. p.293. New York, USA. 2014. ISBN-10:1631176048. Total pages 293
- Chen R, Roberts N.Environmental pollution, neurodevelopment and cognitive impairment (Chapter). p.255-277. In the book - Cognitive Development: Theories, Stages & Processes and Challenges. 2014. Nova Science Publishers, Inc. New York, USA.
- Chen R, Copeland JRM. Epidemiology of depression in older people: prevalence and incidence (Chapter). p.479-488. In: Abou-Saleh MM, Katona CLE, and Kumar A. (eds): Principles and Practice of Geriatric Psychiatry (3rd Edition). Wiley-Blackwell, West Sussex, UK. 2011. ISBN: 978-0-470-74723-0