Dr Rina Arya
About Dr Rina Arya
Rina Arya is an art theorist who has a
background in theology. She is interested in a number of
different subject areas including art, theology and spirituality,
Francis Bacon, Georges Bataille, gender studies, aesthetics,
critical theory, visual communication.
- Arya, R. Abjection and Representation
(Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming 2013).
- Arya, R. The Sacred Dimensions of Georges
Bataille (Peter Lang, forthcoming 2013).
- Arya, R. Francis Bacon: Painting in a Godless
World (Lund Humphries, 2012).
- Arya, R. Chila Kumari Burman (K T
Press, forthcoming 2012)
- Arya, R. Francis Bacon:
Critical and Theoretical Perspectives (Peter Lang,
- Arya, R. ‘The role of Objects in
Bataille’s Story of the Eye’ in the ‘On
Objects’ issue (12.4), Performance Research (Taylor
and Francis), 2008, pp. 67-77.
- Arya, R. ‘A-theology and the
recovery of the sacred in Bataille and Bacon’ in
La Revue Silène, www.revue-silene.com (2008), pp. 45-58
(English), pp. 59-72 (French).
- Arya, R. ‘Ecstasy and pain: the
ritualistic dimensions of performance practice’ in
the ‘Congregation’ issue (13.3), 2008, Performance
Research (Taylor and Francis), pp. 31-40.
- Arya, R. ‘Painting the Pope: An
analysis of Francis Bacon’s Study after Velázquez’s Pope Innocent
X’ for Literature and Theology (Oxford
University Press), 23, no. 1, March 2009, pp.
- Arya, R. ‘The Implicit
Religiosity of Compulsive Buying’ for Implicit
Religion, (Equinox), vol. 12, no. 2, July 2009, pp.
- Arya, R. ‘Remaking the body: the
cultural dimensions of Francis Bacon’ in Journal
for Cultural Research, 13.2, 2009, (Taylor and
- Arya, R. ‘Contemplations of the
spiritual in visual art’ in Journal for the Study
of Spirituality, Vol. 1, 2010, (Equinox Press), pp.
- Arya, R. ‘The Primal Cry of
Horror: the a-theology of Francis Bacon’ in
Artibus et Historiae, Vol. 63, 2011.
- Arya, R. ‘Transitional Spaces:
The Phenomenology of the Awayday’ in Tamara:
Journal for Critical Organization Inquiry, Vol. 9. 3,
- Arya, R. ‘The Neglected Place of
Religion in Contemporary Western Art’ in
Fieldwork in Religion, Vol. 6.1, 2012.
- Arya, R. ‘Constructions of
homosexuality in Francis Bacon’ in Journal for
Cultural Research, 16.4, October 2012.
- Arya, R. ‘Documents: an analysis
of the Playful Museum’ for ‘Folk Art and the Museum’,
Tate Papers, forthcoming.
- Arya, R. ‘Assaying the Pope: Francis
Bacon’s interrogation of religion’, Implicit
Religion (Equinox), vol. 14, no.3, 2011, pp. 343-349.
- Arya, R. ‘Ritualised violence and the
restoration of community’ in ‘Losing it’ issue,
Parallax (Taylor and Francis), vol. 18, issue 2, 2012, pp.
- Arya, R. ‘Black Feminism in the
Academy’ in ‘Being a Feminist Academic’, Equality,
Diversity and Inclusion, vol. 31, issues 6, 2012.
- Arya, R. ‘The Religious
Significance on Violence in Football’ in, Holy
Terror: Understanding Religion and Violence in Popular Culture
edited by, Eric Christianson and Christopher Partridge (London:
Equinox, Nov. 2010), pp.122-134.
- Arya, R. ‘Consecrating the body:
the sacred and the profane in performance art’ in,
Sacred Space: Interdisciplinary Perspectives within
Contemporary Contexts edited by, David Torevell and Jenny
Daggers (Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2010), pp.
- Arya, R. ‘The epistemological
claim for pictures’ in, The Stone Theory
Seminars: What do Artists Know? edited by, James Elkins with
Frances Whitehead, vol 3. (University Park, PA: Penn State Press),
- Arya, R. ‘Art in Sacred
Places’ in, Site, Material, Object by, Lin
Holland and Jane Poulton (ISBN 978-1-898749-08-0) 2010, pp.
- Arya, R. ‘The graphic power of
Käthe Kollwitz’ in, Essays on the Influence of
the Female Artist in the Early Twentieth Century edited by,
Paul Fryer (Jefferson, NC: McFarland), forthcoming, 2012.
- Arya, R. ‘Embodiment as Sacrament:
Francis Bacon’s Postwar Horror’ in, Towards a
Sacramental Methodology of Art History: An Examination of the
History of Christianity and the Visual Arts edited by, James
Romaine and Linda Stratford (Oregon: Cascade Books, 2013).
- ‘Ilya Bolotowsky’:
the Grove Encyclopedia of American Art (2011).
- ‘John Currin’: the
Grove Encyclopedia of American Art (2011).
- ‘Bill Viola’: the
Grove Encyclopedia of American Art (2011).
- ‘The Middle Ages’:
the Sage Encyclopedia of Social Networks (2011).
- ‘The cycle of
rebirth’: the Sage Encyclopedia of Global
Religion (forthcoming 2011).
- ‘Rites of Passage’:
the Sage Encyclopedia of Global Religion (forthcoming
- ‘bell hooks’: the
Sage Encyclopedia of Gender in Media (forthcoming
- ‘Male Gaze’:
the Sage Encyclopedia of Gender in Media (forthcoming
- ‘Last Judgement’:
Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception (De Gruyter),
- ‘Caspar David Friedrich’:
Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception, edited by
Eric Ziolkowski et al., De Gruyter, 2012.
- ‘Georges Bataille’:
Theory in Social and Cultural Anthropology, edited by Jon
R. McGee and Richard L. Warms, Sage, 2012.
- ‘Mary Kelly’: The
Multimedia Encyclopedia in Today’s World, edited by Mary Zeiss
Stange and Carol K. Oyster, Sage, 2012.
- Paper: Representation and Tokenism in the New Art
History, Conference – ‘After the New Art History’,
University of Birmingham, March 26-27 2012.
- Paper: The a-theology of Francis
Bacon, ASCHA, MOBiA, New York, February 8 2011
- Paper: Axiological issues in
Schwitters, Conference on Schwitters and
appropriation, Chester University, June 10-11 2009.
- Paper: The Religious Hangover of
Bacon, Denton Conference on Implicit Religion at
Denton Hall, Ilkey, May 8-10 2009.
- Paper: Consecrating the body: the sacred and the
profane in performance art, Conference on Sacred
Space, Liverpool Hope University, September 16th
- Paper: The Implicit Religiosity of Compulsive
Buying, Denton Conference on Implicit Religion at
Denton Hall, Ilkey, May 9-11 2008.
- Paper: Levels of Reality in
Surrealism, Conference on Altered States at St.
Deniol’s College, Harwarden, February 1-3 2008.
- Paper: A comparison of Ballard’s Crash and the
dolls of Hans Bellmer, Conference on J. G. Ballard,
University of East Anglia, May 5-7 2007.
- Paper: Time, Motion and Disintegration in
Bacon, Conference, ‘Repeat, Repeat’, Chester
University, April 19-20 2007.
- Paper: Atheology in Bacon and
Bataille, Conference on Georges Bataille, Newham
College, Cambridge, April 2006.
- Paper: The Importance of Transgression in
Culture, Conference on Ethics, University of York,
- Paper: Transformation in the art of Francis
Bacon, Conference on Magic, University of Glasgow,
- Paper: The Annihilation of vision and Identity in
Bataille, Conference on Desire, University of Essex,
- Paper: Violence and death in the
Sacred, Conference on Theology, University of
Edinburgh, May 2002.
- Paper: Death and Desire in Religion,
Conference on Dangerous Sex, University of Glasgow, April
- Paper: Fragmentation in Bellmer and The
Bacchae, Conference on Religious Studies, University
of St Andrews, June 2001.
- Paper: The Papal Image in painting,
Conference on Postmodernism and Spirituality, University of Central
Lancashire, March 2001.
- October 27th 2012. The
30th anniversary of the BLK group. Paper:
- May 10th 2012. University of
Glasgow, Centre of Literature, Theology and Arts. Paper:
Contemplations of the spiritual in Western
- January 19th 2011.
University of Leeds, Department of Theology. Paper:
Violence and the Sacred.
- October 13th 2010. Leicester
University, School of Management. Paper: The
Phenomenology of the Awayday.
- March 17th 2010. Liverpool Hope University,
Department of Theology, Religious Studies and Philosophy.
Paper: Fieldwork in Religion.
- February 20th, 2010. Tate Britain.
Symposium on The Contemporary Sublime. Paper:
Bill Viola, new media and the contemporary
- January 27th, 2010. Essex University.
Paper: The Mind-Body Problem.
- May 20th, 2009. Leicester University, Department of
the History of Art and Film. Paper:
Anti-narrative gestures in Bacon.
- March 19th , 2009. The Arnolfini, Bristol.
Paper: Remaking the Body in
- January 21st, 2009. Reading University, Department
of the History of Art. Paper: An analysis of
Bacon’s theories of motion through Bergson’s theories of
- October 14th, 2008. The Grosvenor Museum,
Chester. Paper: Francis Bacon’s art of
Dr Rina Arya is
Director of Studies for the following PhD
- Carol Meachem
- Clive Moore
- Sara Saeidlou
- Daniel Somerville