The University was granted Arms by Letters Patent from
Garter Principal King of Arms in October 1994.
Coats of arms are granted by Letters Patent from the senior
heralds, the Kings of Arms. A right to arms can only be established
by the registration in the official records of the College of Arms
of a pedigree showing direct descent from an ancestor already
appearing therein as entitled to arms, or by making application
through the College of Arms for a grant of arms. Grants are made to
corporations as well as to private individuals.
The University's Arms show supporters on either side of the
shield. These represent Lady Wulfrun often regarded as the founder
of what is now the City of Wolverhampton in AD circa 980 (a
settlement described as Wulfruna's Heantun in the Saxon Chronicles)
and Thomas Telford the renowned Engineer who, in 1787 became
surveyor of public works for Shropshire and whose works and
structures can be seen across the Region and the Nation and after
whom the Shropshire New Town was named.
The motto 'Innovation and opportunity' succinctly embraces the
ethos of the region and the University. This is also evident in the
University's Mission Statement.
For those interested in the technical/heraldic description of
our Coat of Arms it is as follows:
Between two Chevrons Couped inverted and conjoined, three pairs
of Keys Saltaire Wards upwards and outwards, two in chief and one
in base Azure and for the Crest upon a Helm with a Wreath of the
Colours Rising from behind an open book, proper edged or bound
Gules each page, charged with a sprigg of three Hazel Nuts all
slipped and involucred Azure, a demi Sun in splendour Gold mantled
The supporter on the dexter side a representation of Thomas
Telford (1757 - 1834), civil engineer, proper habited Azure. On the
sinister a representation of Lady Wulfrun proper habited Azure,
holding in the sinister hand a Deed partially unrolled or pendent
there from a Seal Gules as the same are in the margin hereof more
The whole to be borne and used forever hereafter by the
University of Wolverhampton by its Common Seal or otherwise
according the Laws of Arms.