You will have access to a wide range of academic support
Our ‘Skills for Learning’ web pages give you access to all the online resources listed below:
- helping you learn – academic skills: accessing IT, study information, referencing and research
- academic misconduct (plagiarism and collusion) and how to avoid it
- writing and assignment skills: including writing skills, academic language, punctuation and grammar
- exam techniques: including revision, anxiety and organisational skills
- enhancing your study – professional skills: including communication, numeracy, literacy and working with others
- PDP and opportunities: including reflection, profile of skills, using PebblePad and what is PDP?
- life skills: including motivation, assertiveness, making the most of your money and stress management
- making choices for your future: including CV building, application forms, career opportunities, taking the right modules and extra curricular activities
- study support for all – international, part-time, mature, postgraduate students: including those extra bits of information which affect the underrepresented groups within the University (such as networking, coping with life in Britain, cultural differences, returning to study after a long time, organising visas around study etc.)
- what’s on: a full timetable of workshops, student development opportunities, useful resources and access to further contact details.
The University also offers
- Study skills advisors across our four campus Learning Centres offer advice on topics, such as essay writing techniques, report writing and taking lecture notes.
- Online study skills tip sheets – guides to utilising lectures, effective group work, time management and stages of assignment research, planning, writing and presentation.
- Study skills books – advice on finding books in Learning Centres on all different aspects of study skills.
- IT help for current students – featuring self-help guides, which include basic IT skills for beginners and advice on using Office software such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.