Staff profile: Thaïsa Whistance
School of Social, Historical and Political Studies (SSHiPS)
Lecturer: Interpreting: (British Sign Language [BSL]/English) and Deaf Studies/ Acting Course Leader Interpreting: (BSL/English) and Deaf Studies Plus Foundation
Direct line: 01902 323418
University of Wolverhampton
Faculty of Social Sciences
City Campus North
Thaïsa is an NRCPD* registered BSL/English Interpreter who combines teaching at the University with freelance interpreting in settings such as mental health, medical, training and development, local government and social services.
Thaïsa is also a trained QCF assessor.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice in Higher Education (2013)
- QCF Assessor (2012)
- NVQ Level 4 Interpreting (BSL/English) 2008
- BA (Hons) Interpreting (British Sign Language/ English) (2006) First Class
- Consecutive and Simultaneous Interpretation
- Translation Techniques and Strategies
- Work Placement Supervision
- Advanced British Sign Language for Interpreters
Professional body membership and roles
- NRCPD Registered Sign Language Interpreter (Reg number 1004444)
- Member of the Association of Sign Language Interpreters (MASLI 000591)
- Former Chair of the Midlands region of ASLI (Association of Sign Language Interpreters)
- FHEA (Fellow of the Higher Education Academy)
- The use of technology in the training of BSL/English Interpreters
- Sign Language Interpreters and Musicianship
- The use of IPAD technology to give multi-modal feedback to British Sign Language /English Interpreting undergraduate students. Journal of Learning and development in Higher Education – Digital Technologies Special Edition (due December 2014)
- Newsli: October 2014- Music and Silence
- ASLI Conference Sept 2014- Tablet Technology as a medium for Professional Development Workshop
- ASLI Conference Sept 2012 (Workshop presenter).
- City Lit ‘Mind Your Language’ 2013 Conference April 2013 (Workshop presenter).
*The National Registers of Communication Professionals working with Deaf and Deafblind People