Iza has an MSc in Biological Sciences from the University of Silesia, Poland completed in 1990. Within biosciences she first specialised in anatomy and histology (interactions between heavy metals and enzymatic activity in brain tissue). In 1991 she took a position as a junior research worker in the Institute of Polymer Chemistry at the Polish Academy of Sciences in Zabrze, Silesia, with a special interest in the biodegradability of different synthetic polymer blends. After one year there she decided to take a PhD researcher/lecturer post at the University of Silesia, Katowice, with a special interest in microbial biotechnology concerning the production of biodegradable polymers by bacteria under different environmental conditions. Iza completed my PhD in the Department of Biochemistry, University of Silesia, Katowice.
After 9 years as a lecturer in microbial biochemistry at the University of Silesia in Poland, Iza joined the School of Applied Sciences at the University of Wolverhampton in September 2000. Since then she has continued her research into the production of biodegradable plastics from bacteria.
Iza has an extensive experience and has had a number of publications in the field of biopolymer production. She has collaborative links with Imperial College, Queen Mary University, London and Smith & Nephiew, York in the area of biopolymers and biomaterials. She was been awarded a Mercia Spinner Pathfinder concept grant and Enterprise Fellowship Scheme to develop new biopolymer extraction methods from bacteria grown in large fermenters.
In addition to my teaching duties, Iza is an active researchar. Her main areas of interest are related to various aspects of biomaterials and antimicrobials. Since September 2000, Iza have held her current post as Senior Lecturer here at the University of Wolverhampton. Iza teaches on a wide variety of microbiology and biotechnology courses, both undegraduate and postgraduate level where she puts my knowledge and experience to good effect.
Iza also is a tutor for Erasmus/Socrates exchange students and coordintes Leonardo Mobility programme.
Microbial biotechnology,Bacterial biopolymers, Antimicrobial agents, Bioremediation.
- Martin, C., Low, W. L., Gupta, A., Amin, M. C. I. M., Radecka, I., Britland, S T., Raj, P. and Kenward, M. A. (2014b). Strategies for Antimicrobial Drug Delivery to the Biofilm. Current Pharmaceutical Design. Accepted.
- Bhat A., Irorere VU., Bartlett T., Hill D., Kedia G., Morris M.R., Charalampopoulos D. Radecka I. (2013) Bacillus subtilis natto: a non-toxic source of poly-γ-glutamic acid that could be used as a cryoprotectant for probiotic bacteria. AMB Express 3:36, doi:10.1186/2191-0855-3-36
- Martin, C., Low WL., Amin MCIM., Radecka, I., Raj P and Kenward K. (2013) Current trends in the development of wound dressings, biomaterials and devices Pharmaceutical Patent Analyst 2(3), pp.341-359
- Dennison SR, Lea B, Snape TJ., Nicholl ID., Radecka I., Harris F (2013) Anionic antimicrobial and anticancer peptides from plants.Critical Reviews in Plant Science,32; pp.303-320.
- Kwakye-Awuah, B., Mrozik, A., Piotrowska-Seget,Z., Nkrumah, I. and Radecka, I. (2013) Release Pattern of Ag+ ions from Silver-Loaded Zeolite X and its Subsequent Effect on Fatty Acid Composition of Bacterial Cells. International Journal of Innovative Research in Sciences, Engineering and Technology, vol.2, issue 9, pp.6235-6244. ISSN:2319-8753.
- Brauer D.S., Karpukhina N., Kedia G., Bhat A., Law R.V. Radecka I., Hill R (2012) Bactericidal strontium-releasing injectable bone cements based on bioactive glasses. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 2012-0647 doi.10.1098/rsif.2012.0647 vol. 10 no. 78 20120647
- Verlinden R. A. J., Hill D. J., Kenward M. A., Williams C. D. Piotrowska-Seget Z and Radecka, I (2011): Production of polyhydroxyalkanoates from waste frying oil by Cupriavidus necator. AMB Express. 1(1):11. doi: 10.1186/2191-0855-1-11.
- Kedia G., Hill D., Hill, R. and Radecka, I. (2010) :Production of Poly-γ-Glutamic Acid by Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus licheniformis with Different Growth Media. Journal of Nanosciences and Nanotechnology, 10, (9), pp.5926-5934
- Kwakye-Awuah, B., Kenward, M.A., Radecka, I. and Williams C (2008) Production of silver-doped analcime by isomorphous substitution technique. Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology, 83, (9); pp.1255-1260
- Kwakye-Awuah, B., Kenward, M.A., Williams C. and Radecka, I. (2008) Antimicrobial action and efficiency of silver-loaded zeolite X.Journal of Applied Microbiology 104, pp.1516-1524
Martin, C., Low, W. L., Gupta, A., Amin, M. C. I. M., Radecka, I., Britland, S. T., Raj, P., and Kenward, M. A. (2014a). Advances in Liposome Research (part of the Biochemistry Research Trends series) edited by Laura Finney. Nova Science Publishers Inc., New York, pp 27 – 61
- Patent PCT/GB2012/052149. Publication date 7/March/2013 on which Radecka I is disclosed as inventor.
- Bhat A, Bartlett T., Hill D., Kedia G & Radecka I. Improved viability of probiotic microorganisms.
- BBC Radio 4 program Costing the Earth episode title: Burn That Fat! First broadcast : Wednesday 25 September 2013 http://bbc.in/1bymnnV
- Irorere V., Bagherirasl S., Blevins M., Stamboulis A., Radecka I. (2012) Waste cooking oil makes bioplastics cheaper. Society of General Microbiology, Warwick conference press release.
- Bhat, A., Kedia, G., Bartlett, T., Hill, D., Charalampopoulos, D., Radecka, I (2011) Making good bacteria happy! Society of General Microbiology, York conference press release and followed by BBC Radio York programme and the Naked Scientists Radio programme for the BBC Eastern Regions.
Radecka I. - invited to deliver a workshop on: Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) University. Workshop sponsored by Leverhulme – Royal Society African Award 22-29 April 2013 and 2014 KUMASI, Ghana.
CONFERENCES – papers presented:
- Radecka I – invited talk on: Biodegradable plastics in the UK – past, present and future. 3rd PLASTiCE Conference ‘Future of Bioplastics’ that will take place in COBRO,1-2 October 2013 Warsaw – Poland.
- Radecka I. - talk on: Antimicrobial activity of silver-loaded zeolite X. International Symposium on Ceramics and Nanotube Technology (ISCeNT), 6-9 March 2013, Nagoya, Japan.
- Radecka, I.- talk on: Bacterial multifunctional polymers. oral presentation. BIOTECHNOLOGY – past and future. Conference, Poland, University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland 28-29 September 2009.
- Radecka I. - talk on: Production and characterization of bacterial poly- γ- glutamic acid “2nd International Conference from Nanoparticals & Nanomaterials to Nanodivices & Nanosystems. 28 June- 4July 2009, Rhodos, Greece.
- Radecka I. – talk on: Biosynthesis of poly γ-glutamic acid (γ-PGA) by bacteria. 1st International Conference from Nanoparticals & Nanomaterials to Nanodivices & Nanosystems, 16-18th June 2008. Thessaloniki, Halkidiki, Greece.