Marek Kowalczuk graduated from the Chemistry Department at the Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice, Poland. He received his Ph.D. degree in Chemical Science (1984) and his ‘Habilitation’ in Technical Science (1994) from the same University. Since 2010 he has been a Professor of Chemistry, nominated by the President of Poland. In 1973 he joined the Centre of Polymer Chemistry at the Polish Academy of Science in Zabrze, Poland (currently: the Centre of Polymer and Carbon Materials, Polish Academy of Science) and focused on anionic ring opening polymerization of β-lactones, especially β-butylolactone. Marek joined the Faculty of Science and Engineering at the University of Wolverhampton in 2013.
His main scientific interests are: biodegradable and functional polymers; novel initiators and mechanisms of anionic polymerization related to the synthesis of biodegradable polymers possessing desired architecture; biodegradation of synthetic and natural polymers; and novel mass spectrometry techniques for analysis of biodegradable polymers at the molecular level.
His current research involves structural studies of biocompatible copolymers and blends of controlled biodegradability containing synthetic analogues of natural polyhydroxyalkanoates and copolymerisation reactions to novel polymeric materials with “made-to-order” structure and properties, with variety of catalysts, including metal free anionic initiators.
Recent Refereed Journal Papers:
- Joanna Brzeska, Aleksandra Heimowska, Henryk Janeczek, Marek Kowalczuk (2014) Polyurethanes
based on atactic poly[(R,S)-3-hydroxybutyrate]: preliminary degradation studies in simulated body
fluids. J POLYM ENVIRON Volume: 22 Pages: 176–182.
- Adamus, Grazyna; Kwiecien, Iwona; Maksymiak, Magdalena; Balakier, Tomasz; Jurczak, Janusz and Kowalczuk, Marek (2014) Molecular level structure of novel synthetic analogues of aliphatic biopolyesters as revealed by multistage mass spectrometry. ANALYTICA CHIMICA ACTA Volume: 808 Pages: 104-114
- Bartczak, Zbigniew; Galeski, Andrzej; Kowalczuk, Marek; Sobota, Michal; Malinowski, Rafal (2013)
- Tough blends of poly(lactide) and amorphous poly([R,S]-3-hydroxy butyrate) - morphology and
properties. EUROPEAN POLYMER JOURNAL Volume: 49 Issue: 11 Pages: 3630-3641
- Muhr, Alexander; Rechberger, Eva Maria; Salerno, Anna; Reiterer, Angelika; Schiller, Margaretha; Kwiecien, Michal; Adamus, Grazyna; Kowalczuk, Marek; Strohmeier, Katharina; Schober, Sigurd; Mittelbach, Martin; Koller, Martin (2013) Biodegradable latexes from animal-derived waste: Biosynthesis and characterization of mcl-PHA accumulated by Ps. citronellolis. REACTIVE & FUNCTIONAL POLYMERS Volume: 73 Issue: 10 Special Issue: SI Pages: 1391-1398
- Rydz, Joanna; Wolna-Stypka, Katarzyna; Musiol, Marta; Szeluga, Urszula; Jeneczek, Henryk; Kowalczuk, Marek (2013) Further evidence of polylactide degradation in paraffin and in selected protic media. A thermal analysis of eroded polylactide films. POLYMER DEGRADATION AND STABILITY Volume: 98 Issue: 8 Pages: 1450-1457
- Balakier, Tomasz; Chaladaj, Wojciech; Jurczak, Janusz; Adamus, Grazyna; Kowalczuk Marek (2013) An effective protocol for the synthesis enantiomerically pure 4-substituted oxetane-2-ones.TETRAHEDRON Volume: 69 Issue: 24 Pages: 4990-4993.
- Maksymiak, Magdalena; Debowska, Renata; Jelonek, Katarzyna; Kowalczuk, Marek; Adamus, Grażyna (2013) Structural characterization of biocompatible lipoic acidoligo-(3-hydroxybutyrate) conjugates by electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. RAPID COMMUNICATIONS IN MASS SPECTROMETRY Volume: 27 Issue: 7 Pages: 773-783
- Kwiecien, Michal; Adamus, Grazyna; Kowalczuk, Marek (2013) Selective Reduction of PHA Biopolyesters and Their Synthetic Analogues to Corresponding PHA Oligodiols Proved by Structural Studies. BIOMACROMOLECULES Volume: 14 Issue: 4 Pages: 1181-1188
“Compostable polymeric packaging materials”, Warsaw 2012, ISBN 978-83-60281-11-6 (in Polish)