1. To formulate and advise on research strategy and policy throughout the University and
assist where appropriate in the preparation of the submission for Research Excellence
2a. To stimulate research effort throughout the University and to provide the quality
assurance and monitoring processes for ensuring high calibre research performance.
2b.To seek and to stimulate research that underpins course development, impacts upon
the curriculum, and leads to contractual arrangements with industry, commerce and
3. Through its own functions and those of its Sub-Committees, to ensure compliance with the Regulations of the University relating to the award of its research degrees.
4. To review and, where necessary, revise the regulations for the award of the
University’s research degrees.
5. To have the following powers, relating to the examination and assessment for and
conferment of degrees, to act on behalf of the University:
i) to oversee the approval of the appointment of internal and external examiners for research
ii) to make decisions, based upon consideration of the reports and recommendations
of the examiners, with regard to the conferment of a Research Degree;
6. To scrutinise, via a purposely appointed Sub-Committee of experienced researchers,
applications for the award of Higher Doctorates and to administer procedures for the
examination and conferment of such degrees.