Subject to the provisions of the Articles, to the overall responsibility of the Board of Governors, to the responsibilities of the Vice-Chancellor, the Academic Board shall be responsible for:
- General courses at the University, including criteria for the admission of students; the appointment and removal of internal and external examiners; the content of the curriculum; academic standards and the validation and review of courses; policies and procedures for assessment and examination of the academic performance of students; the procedures for the award of qualifications and honorary academic titles; and the procedures for the expulsion of students for academic reasons. (Such responsibilities shall be subject to any requirements of validating and accrediting bodies that may be applicable.);
- Considering the development of the academic activities of the University and the resources needed to support them and for advising the Vice-Chancellor and the Board of Governors thereon;
- Keeping under review the academic plans of the University in the light of the objectives set by the Board of Governors and for reporting thereon annually to the Board of Governors;
- Advising on such other matters as the Board of Governors and or the Vice-Chancellor may refer to the Academic Board. So far as practicable, the Academic Board shall arrange for its tasks to be performed by Faculties, Schools and Departments of the University where those tasks are related to matters not affecting other Faculties, Schools or Departments.
The Academic Board may establish such committees as it considers necessary to enable it to carry out its responsibilities, provided that each establishment is first approved by the Vice-Chancellor and the Board of Governors. The number of members of any such committee and the terms on which they are to hold and vacate office shall be determined by the Academic Board.
Reports to: Board of Governors
Receives reports from:
- University Academic Enhancement Committee
- University Research Committee
- Faculty Boards
- Honorary Awards Committee
- Equality and Diversity Joint Committee