Annual Report 2007
Defining moments of 2007
- Child survivor of the Auschwitz concentration camp, Hanna
Ulatowska, describes her harrowing wartime experiences at the
University of Wolverhampton Holocaust Memorial Day Lecture.
- The state-of-the-art Research Centre for Sport, Exercise and
Performance is officially opened at Walsall Campus.
- Computer scientist and mathematician Professor Mike Thelwall,
is named third most influential British researcher for information
science and librarianship.
- The national Student Placements for Entrepreneurs in Education
(SPEED) project is officially launched at Leicester’s National
- The University of Wolverhampton’s new degree in Public
Relations was given full approval by the prestigious professional
industry body the Chartered Institute of Public Relations.
- Figures reveal that language initiatives run by the University
of Wolverhampton have led to a surge in young people studying
languages across the region.
- Hundreds of students celebrate their graduation at the Grand
- The University of Wolverhampton’s e-Innovation Centre (e-IC)
is singled out for praise in a report carried out by the National
Audit Office for its crucial role in boosting the region’s
- Experts from the University’s IT Futures Centre (ITFC) are
recognised for their role in developing a 3D scanner for assessing
the impact of body shape and weight on health.
- The University of Wolverhampton’s School of Art & Design
showcases its outstanding new facilities at an official opening,
joined by prestigious guests from the world of art.
- The University announces that scientists from the University
of Wolverhampton's Research Institute in Healthcare Science have
helped set up the country’s largest brain tumour research
- Orangutan Diary TV presenter Steve Leonard delivers a public
lecture to a packed University audience about his encounters with
wild animals across the world.
- The University holds a special event for Vaisakhi; attractions
include live martial arts, a classical instruments workshop and a
Sikh temple awareness trip.
- The University is awarded ‘Grade 1: Outstanding’ for the
quality of its secondary school teacher training.
- The University of Wolverhampton announces the appointment of
three new Deans at the Schools of Sport, Performing Arts and
Leisure; Health; and Education to drive forward its strategic
- Senior Lecturer in Law, Mike Williams, calls for legal reforms
to protect artefacts found on shipwrecks following the discovery of
a record haul of silver and gold 40 miles off Land’s End.
- Olympic medallist Kriss Akabusi gives an inspiring and highly
entertaining talk to more than 100 delegates at a leadership
seminar at the University of Wolverhampton.
- The University officially opens its West and Central Africa
Regional Office (WACARO) in Nigeria.
- 72-year-old grandmother Olive Wynter-Philp realises her
ambition to learn British Sign Language in order to talk to her
profoundly deaf son after completing a module at the
- University Open Day is hailed a huge success, with almost
2,000 people attending the event.
- Eye-catching two-part sculptures created by Andre Wallace are
officially unveiled in Deanery Place, City Campus.
- Dr Christine Hockings receives a National Teaching Fellowship
for Rewarding Excellence from the Higher Education Academy for her
innovative teaching and research.
- Former Shadow Minister for Higher Education, Boris Johnson,
spends a day at the University and praises its “breakthrough”
research and regional engagement.
- University of Wolverhampton student Laura McLintic has a ‘once
in a lifetime’ experience of reading her moving poem about an
unknown First World War soldier in front of the Queen.
- The School of Engineering and the Built Environment develops
what is believed to be the first specialist undergraduate degree
course in the world focused on Architectural Visualisation.
- A University of Wolverhampton expert, John Traxler, who
specialises in using mobile phones and hand-held computers as a
learning tool, shares his knowledge with computer giant
- Student halls of residence at the University’s picturesque
Compton Park Campus are given a £600,000 facelift in preparation
for the new academic year.
- Mother and daughter Lynne and Laura Hewitt both enroll on
their degree courses at the University.
- Sarah Brown, founder of children’s charity PiggyBankKids,
performs the official opening of the University’s new teaching and
administration building after receiving an honorary degree from the
University’s School of Applied Sciences.
- Vanessa Judd collects her first class honours degree during a
ceremony at the Wolverhampton Grand Theatre just a day after giving
birth to her son, Daniel.
- University lecturer Steve Prowse wins a gold medal at the 2007
International Paralympic Committee Archery World Championships in
- The Government announces that Pro Vice-Chancellor, Professor
Sir Geoff Hampton, is appointed as Chief Adviser of the new Black
Country Challenge, aimed at raising standards in schools across the
most deprived areas of the West Midlands.
- The University’s £7m e-Innovation Centre (e-IC) officially
opens at Telford Campus.
- Former Indian President, Dr APJ Kalam, receives an
Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science during a special
- The University of Wolverhampton scoops two prestigious Lord
Stafford Awards, in recognition of its excellent work with
- Deaffest 2007, takes place at the Light House Media Centre in
Wolverhampton. - The University continues to play a key role in the
success of the UK’s only Deaf-led Film and Television Festival.
- Former BBC war correspondent Martin Bell visits the
University of Wolverhampton to talk about his new book.
- The University’s financial support package, the Regional
Cashback Bursary, is highly commended at the Times Higher Awards
- The Halesowen Education Trust, a pioneering project to
transform educational opportunities in the Halesowen area, is
officially launched in partnership with the University of
- University of Wolverhampton students showcase their creations
on the catwalk during the opening of the Clothes Show Live 2007 at